Looking at hiring a Wicked Campervan in New Zealand? Check this out baby...

Frequently Asked Questions

Want to know about fuel usage, campervan features, camping spots or just where to buy good drugs? Look no further doods - look below and all your prayers shall be answered...Hallelujah!!

Do your campers have an MP3 connection?

All vehicles come with a CD player. Our Mini Campers 3 & 5 are all fitted with Aux Input, just bring your cable & badass tunes. However for all of our other vans you will have to purchase an MP3 radio transmitter that will play songs through the radio.

Can you hire baby seats/ do your campers have anchor points for a baby seat?

No we do not hire baby seats. Campers only have 2 shoulder seatbelts and a waist belt in the middle of a 3 berth camper (bench seat). Our vans do not have an anchor point for baby seats. If you wish to travel with a child seat, then the Mini Camper 3 are the only vehicles with anchor points.

What is included in the vehicle?

Single gas burner, water container, ice box, pots, pans, crockery and cutlery, we also provide table and chairs for outside (Optional $15 fixed fee) and mattresses for your sleeping area. Vehicles are also equipped with a CD player & radio transmission

What type of fuel do the campers use?

The majority of our Iconic and Premium campers run on unleaded petrol. We only have a handful of Fantastic 3’s that run on Diesel so if you would prefer a Diesel it would be based on availability.

What are the external dimensions of your campers?

Vans are approx. 4.6m long, 1.7m wide and 1.9m high. Our campers are classed as a normal car on the ferry crossing 5.5m long.

Do vans have roof racks or tow bars?

No. We do not have roof racks or tow bars.

Can I choose my design?

Customers are welcome to put in a request for the design on the camper which we will try our best to accommodate if available. However as a lot of our hires are one way it is not guaranteed. Customers are also welcome to request a 'tame' van if travelling with children etc.

What is the approx fuel consumption of your campers?

Iconic Campers will travel approximately 300‐400kms per tank – depending on speed and terrain. A tank of fuel will cost approximately $100‐120 NZD to fill. Mini Campers 3’s will travel approximately 400‐500kms per tank and cost around $80‐120 to fill Mini Camper 5’s & Premium Campers will travel approximately 400‐500kms per tank and cost around $120‐140 to fill.

Which Vehicles are Automatic Transmission? Mini Camper 3: MANUAL ONLY

Mini Camper 5’s: AUTO ONLY

Iconic Camper 2 seater: AUTO Only

Premium/Fantastic: AUTO Only


Do the vehicles come with Fuel?

No – you pickup empty and dropoff empty.

Does the vehicle come with Linen?

No – the vehicles do not come with linen or pillows. You will need to supply our own. Some depots carry pillows and blankets from previous customers. You can use these if necessary; however this service is provided as a gesture of goodwill only.

Does my Camper come with a Sat Nav?

GPS devices are available for hire, book online or notify our Roadtrip Planners when booking.

Can I park the camper anywhere when staying the night?

The NZ government are like Nazi’s on campers parking and sleeping by roadsides. They fine people like crack addicts smoke crack. So to avoid a nasty fine – it’s recommended that you do some homework on where you can and can’t sleep. Download our Free ‘Wicked Campers’ app for a decent list of camp sites & and heaps of other cool stuff. So yeah check it:

Also check out the DOC sites which are all over the country http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks‐and‐ recreation/places‐to‐stay

Can I hire on my Provisional License?

For Australian & NZ Drivers: All Drivers must be at least 18 Years of Age. Red & Green P-Plates are fine, however additional fees apply

I’m under 21 – can I hire?

YES! Anybody over 18 can hire!

Can I hire with an Overseas License / Do I need an International License?

All Drivers must be at least 18 Years of Age. It is a legal requirement in New Zealand that anyone using an international licence/translation must also be carrying their original licence. Some customers may require a translated version of their International Drivers License.

If you possess a Driver’s License from any country outside of New Zealand, a $5 Per Day Fee applies to your booking. Alternatively, if you select Liability Reduction B this fee will be waived.

Are your rates based on a daily or nightly rate?

Daily as it is based on calendar days.

Do you have to pay for additional drivers or kilometres?

Having extra drivers is included in our Liability Reduction Option B. If you are not Liability Reduction Option B, an additional $2 daily will be required. We do not charge for extra kilometres, however you should be wary that minimum hire requirements need to be met. Excessive kilometres travelled or usage of the vehicle in areas outside those specified on your contract may result in fees and/or null of Liability Reduction Cover.

What is the Administration and Contract Fee?

This fee applies to all hires and covers a range of costs including credit card surcharge, reservation costs and contract amendment fees.

What happens if I break down or have an issue with the van?

We have 24 hour roadside assistance available to Wicked Camper hirers. In the event of a breakdown you are to call: 0800 240 244 for assistance and our operator will help.

Can I book Online? Hell yeah – check it out baby: Book Here

What is the minimum hire for most roadtrips?

Our minimum hires can range from 5 days to 14+ Days according to seasonal demand. For most of the year we tend to base Minimum Hire Periods on an allowance of approximately 300kms per day. You should let our staff know your itinerary when collecting the camper to work what suits you.

If I'm paying the security bond on credit card, do you actually take the money or just an imprint?

For hires in New Zealand, a $3000 bond is taken off the credit card for the duration of hire. Once the camper has been returned without damage or breach of contract, bond will be refunded. Bond refunds generally take up to 14 working days to be processed & refunded. Depending on how busy depots have been, bond can sometimes take a little longer than usual to be refunded.

Why should I take Liability Reduction B?

Liability Reduction B will:

Reduce your Bond Amount to $0 ($100 for OZ and NZ Residents), need to have a valid imprint able Credit Card. Allows for up to 4 Extra Drivers Covers hirer for Front Windscreen, 2 x Tyres Minor incidents may be covered in certain situations – refer to our policies for more information.

What if I want to cancel my booking?

If you need to cancel your booking, the $500 down payment will be forfeited.

Do you have airport pickups available?

Airport pickups are not available. Most depots can be accessed by public transport, however taxis can be a quicker and more convenient option.

Can I extend my hire? Depending on availability, you can easily extend your hire by calling 0800 24 68 69 or by SMS to: +61 438 096 250 Can I drop my vehicle off late?

Some of our depots have a late returns key drop box. Call 0800 24 68 69 if you need to do this. Always make sure to lock the vehicle before leaving it as you are liable for it until the depot is open the next day!

Can I pickup early?

No – you can only collect your vehicle during opening hours. Do I have to clean my van before returning? Yes please!

DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR USING TOLL ROADS? No, you do not need to pay for Toll Roads. There are 3 Toll Roads in Auckland. As of 15th February 2017, Wicked Campers will charge a mandatory Toll Roads Levy of $20 for all hires picking up or dropping off in Auckland, which covers you for unlimited toll road usage during your trip. So if you happen to travel on a Toll Road in Auckland, don't worry about it - you're covered!

PLEASE NOTE: The Levy is non-refundable. Wicked Campers Toll Levy does NOT cover infringements received for illegal conduct (Speeding, DUI etc.) or Parking fines.

JTouch Mobile Extension for Joomla! 3.3 © 2014 Griddy Designs, LLC